The Autonomy Index is a computed variable based on the Children qualities battery.
It uses only four variables (using WVS R6 variable naming and codes):
- V19= Important Child Qualities: Religious Faith
- V21= Important Child Qualities: Obedience
- V12= Important Child Qualities: Independence
- V18= Important Child Qualities: Determination, Perseverance
Only variables with answers to all v19,v21,v12,18 have an index.
The SPSS like formula is:
if V19>=0 and V21>=0 and V12>=0 and V18>=0 then Y003=(V19 + V21)-(V12 +V18).
In other words, if the four variables have a valid answer (no DK/NA or missing), then add the positive answers of V19 and V21 and substract the positive answers of v12 and v18.
Since mentioned=1 and not mentioned=2, the index will be -2 if both Religious faith and Obedience are mentioned but NOT Independence and Determination-Perseverance (+1+1-2-2=-2).
and, on the other extreme +2 if both Independence and Determination-Perseverance are mentioned but NOT Religious Faith and Obedience (-1-1+2+2=+2).
Using the longitudinal aggregate coding, where mentioned=1 and not mentioned=0, the formula is the opposite:
if (A040>=0 and A042>=0 and A029>=0 and A039>=0) Y003=(A029 +A039)-(A040 + A042).
- A029= Important Child Qualities: Independence
- A039= Important Child Qualities: Determination, Perseverance
- A040= Important Child Qualities: Religious Faith
- A042= Important Child Qualities: Obedience
If Religious Faith and Obedience are mentioned (1 coded in them) and Independence and Determination, Perseverance are not mentioned (0 coded in them), then Y003=0+0-1-1=-2
If Independence and Determination are mentioned (1 coded in them) and Religious Faith and Obedience , Perseverance are not mentioned (0 coded in them), then Y003=1+1-0-0=+2