The Executive Committee
The Executive Committee is the central governing body of the WVSA. The Executive Committee provides leadership and strategic planning for the organization, recruits new members, organizes meetings and workshops, promotes publications and dissemination of results, raises funds for central functions, and assists local PIs in their fund-raising. It also coordinates each wave of data collection, including questionnaire design, data archiving, data distribution, and determines the timing of the next study. The Executive Committee carries out these tasks in close consultation with the Scientific Advisory Committee.
Members of the Executive Committee are voted into office by the voting membership of the General Assembly. Each Executive committee member serves for a six year renewable term of office.
The EC consists of seven elected members and two ex-officio members. The EC includes the President, two Vice-Presidents and the Treasurer. The remaining members of the EC serve as members at large with a variety of responsibilities determined by the EC. Ex-officio Members are the Founding President and the Director of the WVSA Archive.
Executive Committee members are in charge for the following portfolios: research, academic meetings, publications, public relations, advocacy, and external relations, maintenance and improvement of the global network, community of the PIs, fund raising and income generation, and capacity building.
Current composition of the Executive Committee:
- Christian Haerpfer, President of the WVSA, Research Professor of Political Science at the University of Vienna, Austria.
- Alejandro Moreno, Vice-President and Treasurer of the WVSA, Professor of Political Science, ITAM Instituto Tecnologico Autonomo de Mexico, Mexico City, Mexico.
- Christian Welzel, Vice-President of the WVSA, Professor at Leuphana Universitat, Luneburg, Germany.
- Bi Puranen, WVSA EC Member at Large, Associate Professor of Economic History, Institute for Future Studies, Stockholm, Sweden.
- Pippa Norris, WVSA EC Member at Large, Professor of Government and International Relations, Harvard University, USA.
- Eduard Ponarin, WVSA EC Member at Large, Laboratory for Comparative Social Research and Professor of Sociology, Saint-Petersburg, Russian Fedeartion.
- Marta Lagos WVSA EC Member at Large, Director of Corporacion Latinobarometro, Chile.
- Ronald Inglehart (ex-officio), Founding President, Professor of Political Science, University of Michigan, USA
- Jaime Diez-Medrano (ex-officio), Director of the WVSA Data Archive, Madrid, Spain.
Executive Committee and the President in their everyday business are assisted by the Secretary. Secretary is responsible for taking care of the records of the Association, planning, organizing and directing overall communication strategies and public activities for the organization, publication of the Association’s newsletter, planning, organizing and directing of all meetings of the EC, SAC and GA and etc. Since 2014, duties of the WVSA Secretary and Head of the WVSA Secretariat are performed by Ms Kseniya Kizilova. WVSA Secretariat and WVSA Secretary are based at the Institute for Comparative Survey Research, Vienna, Austria.